Winter is on its way and it is starting to get cold outside. Who wants to take their small dog for a walk in freezing weather? Plus, with the time change, it gets dark before you get home from work. No one wants to go for a walk when it’s cold AND dark outside.
Your Small Dog Needs Exercise
It is very important to exercise your small dog on a daily basis. It helps with their overall health. From doggy depression, anxiety and boredom to muscle strength, endurance and focus. These are just a few dog health issues that exercise can help with. If your small dog is acting out or having behavior issues, it’s most likely, they are not getting enough exercise or it could be an internal health problem.
There are many dog exercise ideas for your pooch while being indoors so you both don’t need to go out in the cold. These also work for Summer months when it’s too hot out and you don’t want your dog to get sore paws walking on the hot pavement.
Here are some Indoor Dog Exercise Ideas
- Have them run up and down stairs, if you have them.
- Play fetch. One of my dogs will play fetch for a really long time. I have a long hallway to throw the ball down.
- Buy your dog an iFetch machine (I’m thinking about buying one of these for my ball-obsessed dog. It would occupy her for hours!)
- Play Hide-n-Seek. Hide a toy, treat, ball or something they really like around the house.
- Buy your small dog a Flirt Stick. My dogs love this and will play until they wear themselves out.
> > I saved the Best for last. Buy your dog a small dog treadmill. Best purchase I’ve ever made for my dogs. It will free up your time to get other things done while they get their exercise. It’s super convenient and can be used anytime, day or night. Helps nervous dogs and dogs with anxiety. They calm right down after getting off this small dog treadmill. On occasion, I’ll use it before bedtime so they get a great night of sleep. When you buy dog treadmill, look for reviews to decide which one works best for your dog. Some collapse or fold for easy storage. The small dog treadmills don’t take up much room so you can leave it out all the time. My dogs look forward to running and walking on it.
|They even make a small dog TreadWheel that you can purchase.|
These are my Indoor Dog Exercise Ideas – For Small Dogs
What are your indoor exercise ideas and what works best for your small dog? Please leave your ideas and comments below.