There are Times when You Will Need to be Apart from your dog
Today, I will be writing about Dog Anxiety Remedies and Dog Anxiety, in general.
The Most Common, Separation Anxiety
Unless you have no intention of ever being apart from your toy dog, then it is a wise decision to train it to be happy while you are away. This is important because YOU will start having anxiety worrying about your pup and how they are acting while you’re away. You will start to feel bad every time you need to leave your pooch and won’t be able to enjoy your life and activities outside the home.
Since we have our pets for many years, there will be times when there is no alternative but to leave your dog alone or with someone else. The sooner they become accustomed to staying on their own, as puppies, the easier it will be for both you and your beloved dog. It is a lot harder to leave an older dog on its own if you have never been apart since it was a puppy.
You don’t want your dog doing this, or worse, while you’re away!
Watch this VIDEO
Dogs can get separation anxiety quite easily as they cannot be told when we will be back and they will assume that you have left them for good. By training them when they are young, they will accept that you will be gone for while and will remain happy knowing that you will be coming back soon.
Taking your toy breed dog with you
I know people who have failed to train their dogs properly and they have the burden of never being able to leave their dog alone or with anyone else. This can make certain situations very difficult. I have seen people take their dog to events and then have to check on them constantly throughout the event to see that their dog is okay in their vehicle for extended periods of time. Not only do they not get to fully enjoy the event, the dog could be panicking, could be really cold in the winter or too hot in the summer, among other things like needing a potty break. (NEVER leave a pet in your car when it’s HOT!) Not training or conditioning them to be alone is unfair to the animal as there can be times when it is not possible for you to be with your dog, like in an emergency.
If your dog is trained to accept these times away, it won’t be a big deal, but a dog who has never been apart from its owner could be devastated. It will benefit your dog to get used to time away from you, so if you haven’t done so already, start a plan to help it cope as soon as possible.
Here are the Dog Separation Anxiety Remedies that work for my dogs
- Most important: Crate Training. The younger they are, the better.
- Put one of your T-Shirts or item of clothing with your smell on it in their bed or crate when you leave.
- Jingle your keys around for sound so they get used to hearing it and not get excited or stressed over the sound.
- Don’t talk to your dog or get them excited when you are leaving, this also goes for your return. Just be very casual and ignore them when walking out the door and back in. What you think is excitement is usually stress because they know you are leaving.
- Start leaving for short periods of time. Start with 2 minutes, wait awhile. Go back out for 5 minutes, wait awhile. Do this multiple times until you reach 1 hour, then 2 hours, etc. This lets them know that you will always return.
- Leave the television or soft music on. My dogs love to watch DogTV.
You need to be calm, patient and keep doing these conditioning techniques so your dog could care less if you leave. It will make you and your dog happy and content!
Other Dog Anxiety Remedies
- Get your toy dog a playmate. They will keep each other company and wear themselves out playing all the time.
- Give your small dog lots of exercise. A tired dog has no energy to get stressed out.
- Try Melatonin. It’s safe, non-toxic and helps to reduce stress.
- Rescue Remedy – safe, all natural and works great for any anxiety. Works for people and pets.
What experiences have you had with dog anxiety? What has worked for you? Please share your success and remedies in the comments below.