- Hypoallergenic: No
- Life span: 13 – 18 years
- Height: 8.5 – 11 in. (At Shoulder)
- Origin: United States of America
- Temperament: Loyal, Playful, Intelligent, Friendly, Spirited, Alert
- Colors: Varies; every color you can imagine
Here is information on the (mini) or Toy Rat Terrier Dog Breed
Toy Rat Terriers are active and inquisitive hunters. They are intelligent, easy to train, need attention and understanding and will reward their owners with love and affection.
They are also: feisty, funny, energetic, lively, vermin-chasing, and not capable of being boring. My Toy Ratty is a little clown. They get along great with other dogs and some, like mine, love the water.
They make wonderful family pets, they like children and are generally friendly to everyone they meet.
Although small in stature, measuring approximately 8.5 in. to 11 in at the shoulder, in their minds, they are much larger! My Toy Rat Terrier (Lexi) is only 5 pounds and is very outgoing and wouldn’t hurt a fly…but she’s also a great watchdog. She lets me know whenever someone is coming around the house.
A good family pet, Rat Terriers are amazingly perceptive and intuitively respond to your moods. They have a great desire to please, love praise, and will follow you around the house. Bred to work all day on the farm, these little dogs need a lot of exercise.
Toy Rat Terrier care and grooming are similar to that for many short-haired dogs. They will require regular brushing and bathing and their toenails need to be checked from time to time, however, since they are such an active dog their toenails tend to stay short. As with all dogs, a Toy Rat Terrier’s ears may require cleaning regularly. My little Lexi is super easy to bathe in the sink.
Your Toy Rat Terrier will require a securely fenced yard and will need to be walked on a leash. Due to their inquisitive nature, they are likely to get into mischief if let out alone.
Toy Rat Terriers were bred to be hunting dogs (they love to hunt mice and rats) and their instinct is to work alone, unsupervised by man. This can make Toy Rat Terrier training an interesting
experience! Training needs to be positive and fun; they are quick to pick up new things and do not respond to negative treatment. Because they have been bred to work alone they do not require constant approval as adult dogs, although as puppies they require a great deal of attention and will not like to be left alone during the day. Here is my article to prevent boredom for your dog.
You can expect your Toy Rat Terrier to live a long and healthy life – often to 13 years or more. They are strong and seldom get ill if properly cared for.
Your Toy Rat Terrier will consider itself to be a part of the family and will want to be with you wherever you are and whatever you are doing! I take Lexi all over the County and on road trips.
- She loves to go on hikes and swimming at the beaches and bay.
- Rat Terrier is also the best ball fetcher I’ve ever had!
- She will play fetch for hours and always drops the ball at my feet. I never trained her to do this. It was natural for her since she was a puppy.
- Squeaker to induce play
- Non-abrasive tennis material will not wear down your dog's teeth
- Available in five sizes: XS, S, M, L and XL
Be sure to get your Toy Rat Terrier dog some toys of its own to play with. This can add a lot of fun and happiness to its life, but more importantly, getting the dog involved in family activities will have a positive effect on its mental state and happiness, not to mention wearing out all that energy!
- This item is not a manufacturer-created variety pack and will not be sent in the original manufacturer’s packaging
They love to be taken for walks or a run along the beach. They get to look at different environments and interact with strangers and other dogs.
This social interaction is very important for the overall well being of your Rat Terrier dog and it is something that needs to be done regularly.
Any time spent with your terrier dog, whether it is training or just enjoying playtime, is great for building a long and happy relationship.
Toy Ratty’s playing in the pool
More great information on the breed can be found here Rat Terrier Review
What experience have you had with a Toy Rat Terrier or the larger Rat Terrier? Please share your stories or comments below!
The best toys for Toy Rat Terrier:
- FUN CHARACTERS - Dogs will have hours of fun playing with 3 adorable woodland creatures such as the fox, raccoon, and...
- EXCLUSIVE NOISEMAKERS - Each large toy includes 3 high-quality round squeakers to deliver more sound to keep your best...
- DURABLE TOYS - Skinny Peltz dog toys contain no stuffing to ensure they last longer for a mess free fun both for you and...
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE - This fun filled plush set is 18 inches long, the perfect size for medium dogs of all life stages
- UNIQUE DESIGN - Beautifully-designed, high-quality pet products for the modern dog and dog owner
- SUPER VALUE SETS FOR ALL OCCASIONS: 14 pack pet toys for dogs, contains 9 COTTON TUG ROPE DOG TOYS, IQ TREAT BALL,...
- DOG TEETHING TOY FOR PUPPIES: Dogs have a strong desire to chew everything in the house when teething. So by chewing our...
- DOG TRAINING TOYS FOR SMALL DOG: A tired dog is a good dog. Chasing rubber frisbee is dogs’ instinct, when playing...
- INTERACTIVE DOG TOYS FOR BOREDOM: Dogs are animals that need care and love. Our rope toys with handle ring design are...
- HAPPY DOG GOES WOOF: This unique dog toy gift is designed for your best friend. Not for aggressive chewers since we...
- Dispenses food and treats for hours of fun; prevents rapid eating
- Entertaining wobble action
- Twist off dispenser; easy fill
- Made in the USA
- Measures 7 x 6 x 10.5-inches; suitable for dogs weighing 25-pounds or more
- Raised sides for easy pick up
- Durable Rubber Feet
- Floats in water
- Comes in assorted colors
- For intermediate canine players. Designed especially for small dogs
- Flip lids using knobs
- Slide disks to side
- Lift up cones note that design prevents cones from being knocked over they must be lifted straight up to remove
- Vary number and placement of treats to increase level of difficulty
- FUN FOR ALL BIG OR SMALL Wobble Wag Giggle Ball is great for dogs of all ages and sizes! The 6 clutch pockets on the toy...
- WOBBLE WAG GIGGLE Ball With just the nudge of a nose, off the ball goes! Wobble Wag Giggle does not require batteries -...
- HAPPY, HEALTHY & FIT! By engaging our dog’s natural curiosity and instinct to play with giggling sounds when rolled or...
- GREAT FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR PLAY Whether your dog likes to play in the park or in your home Wobble Wag Giggle interactive...
- PETS KNOW BEST in choosing their toys. Wobble Wag Giggle is sure to catch your dog’s attention with the found sounds...